Sunday 6 July 2014

Bike trip to Oslo

I have successfully tested my bike with a Sunday tour to Oslo.
The bike tour I made was some 50 km. I did not take the shortest, nor the easiest way, which I was sometimes struggling with, due to all the uphills and downhills, but at the end of the day I'm happy, but tired.

The highlights of my trip were not in Oslo, but on the way there. The first one was a little less than 1 ha sized swampy landscape with a dark pond in the middle. The second highlight was, after I had struggled my way up one country side gravel road on top of a hill (where I by the way immediately once entered the forest road, got attacked by mosquitoes ‒ which made me to go as fast as I could to trace them away) just to find out the road on the top, which was suppose to be my "shortcut" was closed due construction work. This would have meant that I had to take either a road down on my left or right, or go back where I came from ‒ in all the cases needing to cycle some extra 5 km to end up to the same place where my planned shortcut would take me. Not forgetting the mosquitoes, of course. It turned out, that a little Slovenian spirit had followed me, and after checking that no-one was around I bravely cycled the road-under-construction part, which was by the way only 100 meters. Just the "no-driving-here"- sign made the Finnish part of me unsure whether I should or should not enter, although it looked safe and drivable gravel.

I was happy I did, because on the other side there was a different type of forest waiting for me. A blueberry forest! I though the time was not yet, since in Finland the blueberries where still green (where as in Slovenia, the season is still ongoing ‒ I suppose?) At that point I had cycled only some 40 minutes, but a little blue snack was welcome. I figured out this is where I should come next weekend, but with some boxes to collect more than what one can eat at once.

The third highlight was next to a busy road. I guess it was some sort of a tourist farm, what I saw form the sign after passing it. But it was so idyllic! There were even two horses grazing.


Other things I saw were some pretty houses, Oslo at fast glance, and perhaps worth of mentioning; lots of begging immigrants.
So idyllic!
Schweigaards gate plantings

Askerskus university hospital



Akershus fortress walls



Daeleneng gata
Karl Johans gate

Oslo Opera house


View to Oslo from Torshovdalen park
Toftesgate second hand open market



On the way to Oslo
View from Schweigaards gate

No comments: